January 17, 2018
31 Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
The SCADA Engineer position exists to provide specialized and disciplined first point of contact for controls engineering services and technical oversight to the wind and solar operations. Their duties are focused on providing system diagnostic and troubleshooting support for safe, reliable operations. They are responsible for understanding the equipment/control system condition and risks, developing solutions for resolving issues and supporting the implementation of those solutions. This position could be based at our Pincher Creek, AB or Melancthon, ON facilities and will require travel (20-30%) to our facilities in Canada and the US.
- Provide diagnostic and troubleshooting support for operational issues concerning SCADA, controls and network connectivity
- Respond to equipment/hardware issues and provide emergency support for forced outages, failures and other operational issues that may arise
- Install mainframe SCADA computers, including the design and installation of operating systems, HMI software, updates, control programming, and displays; configure local area networks (LANs)
- Support software & hardware development, assists in maintenance and upgrades on the SCADA system, which includes substation RTU’s, GE relays, field devices, and various forms of communication.
- Knowledge of data communications protocols, networking equipment and computer operating systems such as Windows, including Cisco or Microsoft certified qualifications.
- Complete timely Root Cause Failure Analysis, as well as recommending corrective actions to eliminate recurrence
- Provide support for various control systems for wind turbines and substations
- Work with OEM vendors for third party support
- Manage long term planning for equipment maintenance and capital projects
- Provide scope development and engineering support for capital projects that meet the asset goals
- Review and update operating procedures and operating limits
- Support management of changes process
- Establish a collaborative work environment with team, peers, stakeholders and support groups to ensure issues may be resolved in a professional and productive manner
- Identify and implement innovative solutions to improve current processes and improve equipment performance/reliability
- Evaluate and validate performance upgrades
- Bring industry best practices, innovations/new technology to be evaluated by the business
- Undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, software engineering, computer science and/ or IT background is required
- Professional Engineering status in jurisdiction required and field experience is not essential but preferred
- Minimum 5 year’s professional experience
- Bilingual (English and French) would be an asset
- Programming knowledge in (but not limited to) C#, Python, VB, JAVA, C/C++, SQL, XML, batch file scripting, Perl and assembly language
- Understanding and experience with industry standard communication protocols.
- Understanding of network architectures and design and experience troubleshooting issues on them.
- Experience with the equipment used in a substation or turbine (PLC, RTU).
- Professional engineering status in jurisdiction of practicing (or eligible)
- Eligible for professional registration in Alberta, Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick
- Strong awareness of the technical aspects of the operation under accountability
- Change management theory and practices
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working in a power generation facility with specific experience desirable
- Demonstrated capability to solve standard and often complex problems through the application of sound engineering judgment and new technologies, services or products. Impacts individual operational decisions, projects and a range of customers
- Capability to understand and articulate complex technical issues to both a technical and non-technical audience
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board! Click here to apply for this position.
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. This position requires the successful completion of medical and alcohol & drug checks.
Powered by Versicherungsvergleich